Congratulations on becoming the proud owner of your very own diaper bag. If you’re lucky whoever bought the bag for you bought it at DadGear.com or DiaperDude.com. If your new bag has flowers or over-primped ponies on it, carry it with pride! Dads will not judge you on your Diaper Bag, instead they will give you a knowing look saying “Carry on brother! We are Men and we don’t need a bag to tell us that".
Now that we got the Pep Talk out of the way, lets get down to the details.
The Packing List
Lets face it, most Men are minimalists and can pack everything they need for a weekend in a daypack. This behavior will not cut it in baby land though. You must pack for contingencies. If your baby poops on herself or gets scratched when you put her in the stroller, you need to be ready. With your Diaper Bag comes the responsibility to be as prepared as a Navy Seal storming an enemy ship. Here are the things you will need for your mission.
- Changing Pad - Something you can unfold one-handed.
- Diapers – Pack 1 per hour (at least).
- Wipes - Travel sized container.
- Diaper rash ointment – Diaper Rash always pops up at the most inopportune moment.
- Changes of clothes - Yes, this goes in the “Diapering” category.
- Ziploc Bags – Good for dirty diapers when you don’t have any place to dispose of them, also good for dirty clothes. These bags are so useful they should be the most plentiful item in your bag.
- Bottles – Pack 1 per hour.
- Formula or Breastmilk – Enough to fill each bottle.
- Burp Cloths or Bibs – 1 for every 2 hours.
- Bottled Water – Enough for you and for your baby (if feeding formula).
- Tissues – Always a very useful parenting item.
- First Aid Kit – As complete as you can get and still fit into your bag comfortably.
- Blankets – 1 or 2
- Teething Rings
- Extra Set of Keys – You don’t want to be locked out of your house or the car with (or worse – without) the baby!
- Hand Sanitizer
You will want to pack everything into your diaper bag by frequency of use. So diapering and feeding supplies should go on top. Things that are in the “Other” category you can bury a little deeper. Once you go out a few times you’ll know what the important stuff is.
Remember To Stock Up
You should be vigilant about stocking your diaper bag to make sure you don’t leave the house having forgotten something important. Running out of Ziploc bags or tissues can be especially annoying!
There it is, everything you need to know about Diaper Bag ownership. People will be in awe at your cat-like readiness. So hold your head high Dads… you’re representing all of us.
What do you find indispensible in your Diaper Bag?